Thursday, April 5, 2012

Gardening?

My motivation for gardening this year has been low.  I continually make excuses concerning Sarah--it is too hot or too cold for her or I am too tired from not sleeping enough.  She was eating a lot at night.  Then there were nights when her stomach seemed to be bothering her or she seemed like she had confused days and nights.  Why can't newborns behave perfectly from the beginning?  (ha! ha!)

Scott's motivation for gardening seems to be higher this year.  After visiting his family farm in Taylorsville around Christmas, I told him that if his late grandfather could be a successful farmer, he could too.  He has increased the square foot of our garden--doubled the size of our basil bed and added sage and dill to it.  In our tomato and pepper bed, he planted lettuce and whatever jalapeno and tomato seeds we had leftover from last year.  He also ordered some Anaheim and Poblano seeds from Burbee because we can't find them at our local stores as seed and sometimes not in the produce section or farmers' market either.  I question whether this means that our climate is not good for growing these peppers.

As I was watching the noon news program this week, Crystal Sanders from James Sanders Nursery was on saying that it was too early to plant because it might frost.  Scott wondered why we were able to buy tomato and pepper plants from James Sanders Nursery if that was the case. 

We have yet to plant the plants and only planted the seeds.  I considered going out to plant the plants but Sarah was sleeping and I didn't want to take her.  I have lost (Scott put away who knows where) part of the baby monitor so I could not use it.  So there is another excuse to add.

Our garden is mostly organic because we have never put any pesticides on it but I have used some fertilizer on it.  Knock on wood, we have only seen a few Japanese beetles in our yard.  Crystal Sanders also mentioned that to control moles you should use a product that kills grubs, which grow into Japanese beetles.  For the last few years, we have had mole holes so maybe we have had a predator taking care of them.  Predation is my favorite organic garden technique.  I have been trying to figure out how to attract mosquito predators.

No comments:

Post a Comment